Children Success stories

Ali Javed

Ali Javed came to the children safe home in 2005. He spent most of his time at the safe home . He didn’t wanted to go home as his family forced him to beat drums, beating drums on events was their family business and profession. He also used to smoke. Children safe home staff used to sit with the children to discuss about education and its importance in daily life. Ali Javed developed interest in Non-Formal Education being offered at the children safe home. He learned to read and write in Urdu. Along with Urdu reading and writing, he also learned basic mathematics (i.e. Addition, Subtraction and Multiplication). In the safe home, children were also counseled about the importance of the skilled work.

Ali Javed learned the skills and started to work in a carton making factory. Additionally, he learned to operate different machines in the factory.

His supervisor at the factory told him that when he would learn to work on all machines then he would be in a position to demand good salary.

In the safe home, the boys were frequently told about the importance of their families and that their homes were the safest spaces for them. In couple of years Ali Javed, while working at the factory, started earning money. He continued to avail safe home space in Lahore but at the same time he also started visiting his home, and subsequently his bonding with his family also increased. He then moved out of the safe home. After few years passed, Ali Javed contacted VISION and informed them that as part time earnings he was driving a rickshaw. He said that it was better to drive the Rickshaw than to waste time on unnecessary things. He mentioned the importance of Non-Formal Education as well as acquiring work skills. He shared with VISION that he was hoping and planning to get the Visa for Dubai.


Sikander came to children safe home in 2005. He used to collect iron pieces from the dirty water drain and factories scrap dumping site with the help of a magnet. He sniffed glue and smoked. He was told by his peers that in order to access the shelter he had to quit sniffing glue. He stopped sniffing glue and came to the shelter. He invested his time on non-formal education and learned to read and write. The VISION staff often used to council the boys about the importance of their families and that their homes were the safest spaces for them.

One day, he mentioned that he was going home on August 14th, since his father was coming from Quetta. He came back after two days and told the VISION’s staff and the boys that he was very happy on meeting his family especially his mother and sisters.

Sikander’s elder brother used to lives in Lahore and worked in Pakistan Air Force. He sometimes would go to see his brother. He would hide in the street and would watch his nephews playing. On August 14th he visited home. After this he started to work in a tea stall. He used to give all his earnings to his mother. One day he told safe shelter staff that he would not visit home because his sister-in-law had asked him to give her all the money. Additionally, his nephews were bullying him. He deposited his money with the safe shelter staff. Later on his brother got him a job as a security guard. His company trained him to the protocol of safety and security and to handle guns. He states that today what he is, is all because of the love, security and awareness provided by VISION.


Shabbir arrived at the children safe home in 2008. He was quiet, humble and would smile all the time. He was not interested in studying, nor did he smoke or sniffed glue. He was the sole breadwinner of his family. He would go out on daily basis to do some day work and earn money so that he could support his mother and sisters. Shabbir’s mother & VISION staff tried to convince him to go back home. He would go home to meet his family but would not stay there.

Once he was gone for few days. After he returned to the safe home he shared that he had started working in an electric wire factory, and was living with his family.

After sometime, he visited safe home again and mentioned that he was working in a machine embroidery factory and was earning about 30,000 rupees per month. Now, he is married and has two kids.

He thanked VISION for the support, love and courage that he received.